The Thankful Project Day 21


Day 21: Something that's easy to take for granted

This prompt is easy for me at this season of my life. As most of you know, if you've read previous posts, Kyle and I live in a little 1 bed, 1 bath house out in the country on an almond orchard. I love the location and the way of life out here but it took some getting used to. 
Our house has a stove fireplace and a wall unit AC. When we got back from our honeymoon back in June, it was 100 degrees out. Our wall unit didn't work very well so it only got half of the front room cool enough to sit in. The rest of the house was just miserably hot. Thankfully Grandpa (he's our landlord too) got us a new wall unit and it got us through the rest of summer. 
Now, with winter happening we have no heater just the fireplace which smokes out the house. (One day we'll get it working right.) It had been about 61 degrees in the house and I was so miserable so I begged Kyle to get a space heater. Thank God Grandpa had an extra and let us use it. 
The other issue I had when moving here was the shower situation. The hot water for the whole house lasts for 10 minutes. That's it. For me this was like INSANE. I need hot water for at least 15-20 minutes. Oh and the shower is like a cave thing so it has no light. Seriously?? Not to mention there's NO BATHTUB! It's been torture for this slightly high maintenance girl but i've gotten over it..kinda ;) 
I used to live in a brand-new house with a dishwasher(oh yeah don't have that either), plenty of hot water, AC/heater, a bathtub, and no light problems. 
Can you tell its been work adjusting. I never realized how much I took for granted my tub and AC/heater. I am so thankful though for what the Lord has blessed us with though to manage these really minor annoyances: the new wall unit and our new space heater. Can't say much about our shower situation though ;) 
All in all, it's not so bad out here and this little old house is starting to grow on me. I've been taught a lot of lessons lately about taking things for granted. I think that's kinda what the Lord does for us to teach us, or maybe just me. He brings me out of my comfort zone to make me see what's really important in life and to be thankful for what I do have. I also look back at my Africa pictures and can remember that the Lord has really blessed us and I need to appreciate everything, even the small things that are easy to take for granted. 

What little things have you been taking for granted?

With love,
Kenzie Ann

2 comments:

  1. Yikes...I can't even imagine!! Seems like you are making it through though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yes! Definitely learning to appreciate what I have though!

      Delete