How I am naturally balancing out my hormones


Ok so like I mentioned in the previous post, I have not had the greatest postpartum recovery. It has actually really sucked for more reasons than one. A very hard part of my recovery is dealing with hormonal imbalance.  I have been doing some research about hormone changes after having a baby and have decided that diet is a huge part of helping your hormones level out.

*Here's the disclaimer...I am not a doctor and honestly haven't even talked to a doctor about my hormones much. My doctor didn't seem to help at all when it came to my postpartum recovery. I was getting very frustrated and knew that I needed to be my own health advocate if I was going to feel any better. That's why I really wanted to let all of you mommas and soon-to-be mommas know what I am doing and see if it actually helps. I do not recommend doing anything without talking to a doctor.*

While I was doing research, I found out why us women feel so crazy after having a baby. During pregnancy our progesterone levels get very elevated and estrogen levels go down. Progesterone is the feel good and happy hormone that can kinda be like valium for the brain they say. When you deliver the baby, all the levels change. Now that progesterone is down and estrogen is up sometimes causing the baby blues or postpartum depression.

I knew I was experiencing hormonal imbalance when I would get such a low feeling inside making me even question what my purpose was and if I could really handle this new journey. It was very scary. I felt like I was questioning everything around me. I wanted to do everything perfectly for Hunter and make sure he was happy all the time because if he and my husband were happy then I could be happy. When stress would come or he would be off schedule I would get so scared and the low feeling would come. It's actually hard to even talk about it because I don't want those feelings to come back. With that being said, I knew I had to figure out what was wrong with me. I didn't want to go on an anti-depresent or feel like this for much longer so the research began.

Unfortunately hormone balancing comes with a good diet ;) No more sweets and alcohol for me!

The endocrine system makes hormones and includes these major hormone producing glands: pituitary, pineal, thymus, thyroid, adrenal glands and pancreas. Hormones are made using fat and cholesterol. Toxins can mimic these hormones or the building blocks of hormones resulting in hormones being made wrong. With a good diet you can help your body produce and regulate your hormones better.  

Ok enough with the science...Here is what I am eating and avoiding to help with this hormones balancing. (You can look up the benefits and find more info here or of coarse looking it up with a holistic doctor or reputable site)


Foods that help with balancing hormones: 

-Coconut oil
-Avocados
-Raw Butter
-Nuts and Seeds (ex: sunflower and flax)
-Probiotic Yogurts

Basically it is found out that having a healthy gut is important as well as avoiding Omega-6 Polyunsaturated Fat (ex: vegetable oil, canola oil, soybean oil, margarine...)


Foods to avoid: 


-Sugar
-Alcohol
-White Flour
-Processed Foods
-Excess Caffeine


Supplements I am taking: 

-Primrose Oil Capsules 
-Vitamin B6
-Prenatal Vitamin 
-Vitamin C
-Zinc
-Magnesium
-Maca Powder
-Matcha Powder 



So basically I am trying to get my estrogen levels down and progesterone levels up. I am hoping to see a difference in myself with making these changes. I plan on hopping on here every now and then to update you on how this hormone balancing journey goes. Make sure to check out the sources I linked above to get explanations on the supplements and diet! There's way too much information for me to explain for each ;) 

With Love,
Kenzie Ann

0 comments:

Post a Comment